Location. Santa Eufemia de Ambía. Parish of Santo Estevo de Ambía.
Type of monument. High middle Ages Chapel. Interest: Architectural, artistic, historical and ethnographical.
Dated. 9th century. Beginning of the High Medieval Period.
Description. Pre-Romanesque style chapel from the 9th century with Mozarabic influences. Chronologically linked to two other
chapels of the same style in the Province of Ourense: Santa Comba (village of Bande) and San Miguel (in the grounds of the current Monastery of San Rosendo in Celanova).
Such a concentration of architectural heritage can be found in few places in the Iberian Peninsula. The chapel dates back to the beginning of the European Middle Ages, with peninsular peculiarities of style and influences of the Mozarabic culture.
The floor plan is of a single nave with a rectangular apse.
Three windows with two horseshoe arches are preserved, corresponding with the three inner chapels that were divided in the original nave, preserved at the base of the arches they formed.
Inside are one altar stone with Roman origins (Roman Empire) and a crucified Christ wood-engraving of Medieval-Romanesque origins.
Next to Santa Eufemia, from the time of Romanisation, is located a fountain called the “Fonte das Ninfas” (The Nymph Fountain) from which came the altar stone which is today inside the chapel of Santa Eufemia.
Cataloging. Cultural Interest Asset (BIC). Declared “Monumento Histórico-Artístico” (Historical-Artistic Monument) (3rd of June 1931).